LAMP Project Round 3

Man how crazy this is. So I set about trying to get mod_mono going with the [ rpms the other department used]. This took a little googling but eventually I found it. I then downloaded mod_mono and tried to install just that, but of course it conflicted with some other packages. I went about removing packages one by one and getting replacment packages to install but no dice until I eventually just removed all my current mono packages. Attempting to install the mono-core package for the 1.0.6 release gives me an error that it can’t find “”. A yum provides later and now I need to install package? wtf?? Ok, yum install that and it asks Transaction Listing: Install: 0:1.1.3-11.5.0.fc3 - updates-released Performing the following to resolve dependencies: Install: evolution-data-server.i386 0:1.0.4-3 - updates-released Install: gnutls.i386 0:1.0.20-3 - base Install: libsoup.i386 0:2.2.2-1.FC3 - updates-released Install: 0:1.1.3-11.5.0.fc3 - updates-released Install: redhat-artwork.i386 0:0.117-1 - base Total download size: 81 M Is this ok [y/N]: No its not ok, but I dont think I have any choice… can you say rpm hell? Of course I give it a swing… and after everything download and installs I try to install mono-core again and lo and behold…. it’s busted. Turns out is provided by open office not…doh. So I do some googling and figure out what I really need is [ libicu-2.6.2-1.1.fc3.rf.i386.rpm] so I download that and install it and finally mono-core installs. After that I attempt to install the rest of the mono 1.0.6 packages and all but the mono-postgresql package install… ok for now. I go about attempting to get our code running on mod_mono only to have that blow up. Turns out it is looking for some [ infragistics] package reference. It’s odd cause this worked in the newer version, so I think this is really a problem in the incomplete implementation of this version of mono, but we don’t actually use any infragistics code in our app so I go back to the app developers and see about getting these references removed. At one point early on we had thought about using some infragistics code, but it couldn’t do what we really wanted, so we ended up scrapping it…or at least it was supposed to be scrapped. My boss calls this the “roach motel” effect… code gets checked in and it never comes out. Turns out the developer in question couldn’t figure out how to get rid of it so after 3 or 4 goes arounds of him claimingvit was gone and me installing the code and watching it blow up, he ended up moving it all into a new project. So we do that and I install and wowzer it actually works. (After some mad fiddling… directories and files are all fubared with case issues but I resolved those). So we now have our code working on mod_mono, allbeit a slightly older version of mono, and without database connectivity. Still this is positive movement and leaves me something to blog about tommorow [[image /xzilla/templates/default/img/emoticons/smile.png alt=”:-)” style=”display: inline; vertical-align: bottom;” class=”emoticon” /]]